My husband refers to it as “Ann’s I hate the Superbowl” chili. It is not that I hate it… I just could care less. I had never bothered to watch the event before he came along and I usually don’t see much of it now. But having chili to look forward to it makes it a bit more tolerable!
It is not all that different and unique I suppose. But it is my version!
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground sausage
big heaping tablespoon of minced garlic
1 fresh tomato
1 can of beans
2 cans of diced tomato
2 packages of chili spice
1 jar of salsa
- I start by browning the ground beef and sausage in one pan.
- Then I cut up the pepper and onion into 1 inch chunks or so and then grill them another pan with a little olive in a pan with the spoonful of garlic.
- I tend to add the cut up fresh tomato after the onions have started to get a little brown. The tomato tends to add too much water at first.
- I rinse the canned beans really well. I don’t know what slimy stuff they pack them in, but it is gross. I use whatever kind strikes me – usually kidney, but I don’t really have a preference. I used to use two cans of beans before we went low carb.
- When the meat is brown, the onions have some nice color and peppers are starting to soft, I throw the whole mess along with the remaining ingredients into either a big pot on the stove or a crock pot, depending on how early in the day I start and how much time I have.
- I add enough water to make sure that I can really stir things up regularly and might add more if it cooks down too much on the stove top.
If we need to eat sooner than later, I will crank up the heat on the stove top and get it cooking fast, but if I need stove top space and have enough time, the crock pot is a good option too. Either way the house smells yummy!
We usually serve it with a BIG handful of shredded cheese!
This year we are also making veggies covered in chocolate! No particular menu planning there. Just wanted to make a batch of those too! I did add a extra half a cups of beans I stole from the can for the chili to bump up the protein, but I counteracted with some m & ms on top!